The course is intended to provide basic knowledge on medical entomology both in theory and laboratory aspects. On completion of this course, it will help the learners in improving the knowledge of vector-borne diseases (VBD) and insect identification (Taxonomy).
Module 1: Basic Entomology
- Basic definitions and terminologies (Entomology & Epidemiology) – Commonly known Vector insects and VBDs – Modes of VBD transmission-Biology and ecology of medical important Arthropods.
Module 2: Insect collection techniques
- Vector surveillance Concepts – Sampling Methods – Entomological measures.
- Insect Collection tools for various medically important arthropods (Mosquitoes, ticks, mites, sand flies, flea and other arthropods).
Module 4: Insect species identification (Taxonomy) and Laboratory methods
- Taxonomic classification of phylum: Arthropoda – Class: Insecta – Order: Diptera and Acarina.
- Genus level morphological identification of medically important Insect species in India; Anopheles sp., Culex sp., Aedes sp. and Heamaphysalis sp.
- Infection screening on vector insects: various screening methods.
- Molecular techniques: Insect sample preparation, nucleic acid extraction and PCR