- This event has passed.
Basic virological techniques
August 6 - August 10₹10,000
In the era of emerging and re-emerging infections, diagnosis of the pathogen plays a critical role. Demonstrating skills in virological techniques is one of the strengths in research and diagnosis of the infections. This course provides a platform to learn and gain hands-on experience in these vital basic virological techniques.
- Laboratory & syndromic approach in diagnostic virology
- Collection, packaging, transport& processing of the sample
- Cell culture technique
- Virus isolation
- Quantification of virus
- Neutralization assay
- Haemagglutination & Haemagglutination inhibition assay
- Immunofluorescence assay
- Conventional &real time PCR
The course has six units and includes practical sessions along with their respective theory sessions.
- Unit 1 Syndromic approach addresses the importance of the syndromic approach in diagnostic virology
- Unit 2 Sample processing covers the process of collection, packaging, transport and processing of the sample
- Unit 3 Isolation of virus includes the cell culture techniques involved and different methods of used in the isolation of virus from the sample
- Unit 4 Quantification of the virus; various methods of quantification of virus including tissue culture infective does 50, plaque assay, hemagglutination assay
- Unit 5. Neutralisation of the virus; different neutralisation techniques like micro-neutralisation assay, plaque reduction and neutralisation assay, hemagglutination inhibition assay
- Unit 6 Diagnostics methods; conventional polymerase chain reaction(PCR), real-time PCR (Uniplex and multiplex) and immunofluorescence assay will be demonstrated.